Overtime soccer again against Howard

Reading Time: 2 minutes
Howard’s keeper dives for a ball just out of her reach. The Wolverines are nearing the end of the regular season with the Great West conference tournament and a possible championship looming on the horizon. Photo by Nathan Grill/UVU Review


Despite having the overwhelming advantage in shots (25-7) and shots on goal (18-2), it took a comeback in the 80th minute to force overtime and a golden goal in the second overtime for the Lady Wolverines to pull out a huge 2-1 conference win over the Bison of Howard University Thursday night under the lights at Clyde Field.


The Bison controlled the first period even though the Wolverines out shot them 6-4. Howard kept possession and with crisp passing and smart dribbling was able to limit strong scoring attempts by UVU. Even though Bison keeper Kyra Dickinson had four saves they were right at her and she did not have to work very hard for them.


Howard’s only goal of the match came in the 25th minute on a corner kick that was accidentally blocked into their own goal by the Wolverines. That own-goal was the only scoring of the first half as UVU played an un-spirited game looking impatient and attempting long passes, not keeping possession and playing on their side of the pitch for the majority of the match.


Part of the lack of energy could be attributed to playing another double overtime match, that one ending in a 3-3 tie Monday night.


“The win helps for now,” said Wolverines head coach Brent Anderson. “Houston Baptist will be here Saturday and they haven’t played a game this week.


So playing two double overtime games this week takes a lot out of you but we’ll see if we can keep up the energy and compete.”


The Wolverines appeared to be a totally different team in the second period, pushing the ball and playing on Howard’s end of the pitch for a change. UVU more than doubled their shots on goal with 13 for the period while decreasing Howard’s shots by one down to three.


Despite the pickup in energy and productivity Bison keeper Dickinson picked up the pace as well recording nine saves.


“She played really well tonight,” Anderson said. “I was impressed she made some really tough saves.”


It wasn’t until there was less than ten minutes left in the match that the Wolverines got on the board. Lexi Dunn took a direct kick on goal but Dickinson made an athletic diving save. That save was put in jeopardy on a header by Ashley Burdett and was then put to bed by Burdett picking up her own rebound and sending the ball into the back of the net for the equalizer.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.