Men’s soccer: UVU shuts out UMKC for fourth straight win

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Photo courtesy UVU Athletics

KANSAS CITY—Skyler Milne tallied his second brace of the season as the Utah Valley University men’s soccer team shut out Missouri-Kansas City 2-0 Sunday. The Wolverines pushed their winning streak to four games with their ninth shutout on the year.

UMKC controlled possession for the majority of the first half, but it only took to the 7th minute before Milne found the back of the net for UVU (11-3-0, 4-1-0 WAC). Aaron Meyer served a free kick into the penalty box and Milne dove behind the defense and sent Meyer’s serve by UMKC goalkeeper Filippo Errico.

Goalkeeper Mitch Jensen kept busy in the first half as the Kangaroos (2-7-2, 1-2-2 WAC) fired 10 shots with four on target. Jensen sent back each UMKC attempt and kept the ‘Roos off the board for his fourth shutout in as many starts.

Near the end of the first half, UMKC’s Eric McWoods and Chandler Baddley made an attempt at a ball near the sideline in front of the UVU bench. As Baddley attempted to head the ball, McWoods jumped to attack the ball, but his knee made contact with Baddley’s upper body. McWoods was assessed a yellow card on the play while Baddley left the game with an injury.

Milne’s second goal came on a penalty kick in the 67th minute. Aaron Meyer again served a free kick into the box and Alex Neff was held by a UMKC defender as a scrum made a play toward the ball. Referee Ryan Cook awarded a penalty kick to UVU on the play. However, pushing and shoving ensued as Cook walked to his position near the end line. It was nearly three minutes before referees sorted out the scuffle and allowed Milne to take his shot, which he sent to the back, right corner of the goal.

Despite his two goals on the night, Milne missed a hat trick opportunity on a breakaway in the 53rd minute. With a UMKC defender trailing, Milne had an open lane to the goal, but Filippo sent the shot back with a kick save to his left.

UVU sits in second place in the Western Athletic Conference after an undefeated weekend. The Wolverines will be back at Clyde Field for their next match, which is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m. MT.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.