Getting graded

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Coming into the second semester of the school year, some students find themselves trying to interpret their final grades from last semester, and trying to figure out how they will impact this semester.


While all students should know what A, B, C, and D grades mean, some may be confused about W, UW, I and E.


An “E”, failing, is commonly understood by students, but for some newer students who are accustomed to “F’s”, it may be foreign. An “E” is failing and a 0.0 is calculated into the GPA.


A “W”, withdrawal, is given when a student officially withdraws from a class during the first three weeks of class. No grade will appear on the student’s permanent record as long as they withdraw with the 100 percent tuition refund.


A “UW”, unofficial withdrawal, is given to a student when they stop going to class before the last day to withdraw for classes. A “UW” holds the same value as an “E” and is calculated as 0.0 into the GPA.


When a student cannot complete the coursework due to extenuating circumstances, the student can petition to have more time beyond the end of the course to finish the work. With departmental approval, the professor can give the student an “I”. Students have to complete the work within a year of taking the course. They can make arrangements with the professor or retake the class to remove the “I”.


“I”, incomplete, grades are not calculated into the GPA, but if not taken care of within a year, the “I” will be changed to an “E”, which will count as a zero.


If a student feels they received an incorrect grade, students can petition the grade within a year of receiving it.  For more information about the appeal process, students can look at the UVU Catalogue or talk to their advisor.


By Vanessa Fraga Perkins – News Editor