Campus News:

KURT BESTOR TO PERFORM CHRISTMAS CONCERT AT UVU – With Christmas around the corner, Kurt Bestor, a Utah-based composer and performer, will be performing his fourth annual Christmas concert Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. in the McKay Events Center. The concert will recognize local cancer survivors of Central Utah Cancer Center and raise funds for UVU student scholarships. “A Celebration of Life … A Kurt Bestor Christmas” will feature Bestor’s award-winning band, a professional chamber orchestra and special unannounced guests. The winner of Bestor’s Singer Search, which made a stop at UVU in October, will also be featured at the concert. All proceeds from the concert will go toward UVU student scholarships. Ticket prices are $40 for front floor, $30 for back floor, $20 for lower bowl, $15 for upper bowl and $10 for UVU students, faculty and staff. Tickets can be purchased at the McKay Events Center ticket office at (801) 863-7475 or through For group rates and availability, contact Nancy Cannon at (801) 863-8844. For more information on Kurt Bestor, visit

BRIGHTEN A CHILD’S CHRISTMAS – Stop by the Giving Tree located next to Hogi Yogi in the Student Center. Take a dove off of the tree and purchase the requested item. Return the item to SC 101 (Volunteer & Service-Learning Center) by Dec. 17.

RAGAN THEATER SHOWCASE – UVU Sorensen Student Center and Ragan Theater will be honoring Wayne Erickson in this year’s Ragan Theater Showcase on Dec. 9 at 7:30 p.m. in the Ragan Theater. This showcase is an opportunity for UVU to acknowledge and highlight the talents and accomplishments of college, community and high school achievement in the arts. Erickson will be receiving the Ragan Theater Showcase Merit Award at the Symphonic Band Fall Concert. A reception for all those in attendance will immediately follow the concert. The concert is free to the public.

National News:

MAN TRAMPLED AND DIES ON BLACK FRIDAY; FAMILY SUES – The family of a worker who was trampled to death at a Long Island, NY, Wal-Mart on “Black Friday” is now suing the store for wrongful death. An estimated 2,000 people there rushed into the opening that day. The lawsuit also claims Wal-Mart “engaged in specific marketing and advertising techniques to specifically attract a large crowd and create an environment of frenzy and mayhem and was otherwise careless, reckless and negligent.” Jdimytai Damour, 34, had been hired as a temporary worker at the Wal-Mart and had been on the job for a week when he died. Damour was a 6’5″, 270-pound man who died of asphyxiation after being trampled. At least four other people were treated at hospitals, including a woman who was eight months pregnant.

MASSACHUSETTS’ OLDEST INMATE DIES – At 92 years old, Massachusetts’ oldest prison inmate died this past week. Nicholas Montos was serving 33 to 40 years for robbery in the state prison in Norfolk. He was a career criminal who was the first person to make the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted list twice. Montos committed his first crime at age 14. He was age 78 in his most recent crime when he was incarcerated after trying to rob an antique store. He made the FBI’s Most Wanted list in 1951 when he and two other men pistol-whipped a 74-year-old man in Georgia. He was caught in 1954 but made the Most Wanted list again when he used a hacksaw to escape from a Mississippi prison. He was a veteran escape expert as he had committed many crimes but always managed to escape from jail.

FORD CEO SAID HE WILL GIVE UP HIS SALARY IF COMPANY IS RESCUED – It is reported that Ford CEO Alan Mulally said he will work for $1 per year if the company has to take any government loan money. Ford Motor Co. is meeting with Congress to request $25 billion in government loans. Congressional leaders demanded that the CEOs show how they will survive if they do receive federal funds. The company said it will cancel all management employees’ 2009 bonuses and will not pay any merit increases for its North American salaried employees next year. It also said it will sell its five corporate airplanes. The three CEOs were heavily criticized last month when they flew to Washington in separate corporate jets for hearings. This time, they will be traveling by car or other transportation.

World News:

PIRATES ATTEMPT TO HIJACK CRUISE LINER – Pirates have appeared to become more aggressive as a luxury cruise liner was attacked by pirates between Yemen and Somalia last week. Passengers said they were surprised by the pirates’ boldness in their attempt to take over a cruise liner. The attack was on a 600-foot long M/S Nautica in the Gulf of Aden and lasted for five minutes. According to Oceania Cruises, Inc.’s operator, the assault consisted of pirates firing eight rifle shots at the ship. The captain ordered passengers inside and accelerated the cruise liner, which left the pirates behind in their 20- to 30-foot speedboats. There have been approximately 100 attacks on ships off the Somali coast this year with 40 vessels hijacked. Thirteen ships still remain in possession of pirates, along with more than 250 crew members, including a Saudi supertanker filled with $100 million worth of crude and a Ukrainian ship with 33 battle tanks.

PROTESTORS END SEIGE AT BANGKOK AIRPORTS – Anti-government protestors ended their protest at two of the country’s main airports after declaring victory after Thailand’s Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat was banned from politics and ordered his political party and two partner parties to dissolve by a court ruling. Thousands of protesters came out of the Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airport in cars and trucks, while others cleaned up the mess that had accumulated during their weeklong takeover. The first commercial flight in a week arrived in Bangkok on Wednesday with the airports going back into full function by last Friday.

HIGHEST TIDE IN 22 YEARS IN VENICE – Last week, residents and tourist in Venice had to wade through knee-deep water on the streets. One of the highest tides in history brought Venice to a halt as a plan is developing to build moveable flood barriers to save the city from high tides. City officials report the tide peaking at 61 inches. Alarms went off at 6:37 a.m. to alert residents with many of them taken by surprise since authorities had not forecasted such a high water level.