I hate winter. I hate snow and especially coldness. And because of the valley’s inversion, February can be the hardest month as I wait for the dirty air and black snow to leave. Here are some sounds that put sunshine and kick back into things.
1. Camera Obscura: “Razzle Dazzle Rose”
It’s hard not to fall in love with this song after hearing it at least twice.
2. Vampire Weekend: “Horchata”
3. Jordi Savall: Bach’s Cello Suite #4 In E Flat, BWV 1010 (Bourrée #1 & 2″)
Plucked cello strings make this Bach piece really playful.
4. Snow Patrol: “How To Be Dead”
5. Dirty Projectors: “Stillness Is The Move”
Fractal African guitar and R&B vocals not even Beyonce’s sister can resist covering. Warning: addictive.
6. The Smiths: “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out”
7. Nine Inch Nails: “Where Is Everybody?”
8. The Killers: “All The Pretty Faces”
Given Brandon Flowers’ Mormon background, tell me this song isn’t about an RM having love trouble.
9. Fleet Foxes: “Mykonos”
Harmonious vocals evoke snowy mountains and Greek islands.
10. Bloc Party: “So Here We Are”
11. Red Hot Chili Peppers: “Minor Thing”
Fast-paced and great funk beats.
12. The Airborne Toxic Event: “Sometime Around Midnight”
An old love taunts some poor soul at a party. Know how you feel, man — been there, hated it.
13. Dave Matthews Band: “#41 [Acoustic]”
Requiem for a missed opportunity at true love. Not a DMB fan, but give this one a chance.
14. Charlotte Gainsborough feat. Beck: “Heaven Can Wait”
Simple and straight to the point. And the music video is positively awesome.
15. Explosions In The Sky: “Your Hand In Mine”
As snow melts, this beautiful track optimistically scores winter’s end and spring’s beginning.