- The number one reason donors say they give blood is because they “want to help others.”
- Two most common reasons cited by people who don’t give blood are: “Never thought about it” and “I don’t like needles.”
- Blood cannot be manufactured – it can only come from generous donors.
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
- One donation can help save the lives of up to three people.
- Share of the U.S. population eligible to give blood: Less than 38 percent.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
Facts from: www.RedCrossBlood.org